Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Casual eBay Seller Getting Ready for Tax Year 2022 1099-K

Deleted

See Opus17's reply

@Hal_Al 

@Opus 17 

I have read through all of the posts in this thread and appreciate the information you and others provided. I do have a few questions though and would appreciate your input. My husband and I have each sold personal items (probably about 100 items each) that we had at home (books, homeschool curriculum, clothes, household items, etc) on eBay (two different accounts). We both received more than $600 in gross payments (which includes shipping, etc), and beginning in 2021, our state requires that 3rd Party Networks send out 1099-K's if over $600, so we received 1099-K's for 2021 and have to deal with how to handle this for our 2021 taxes. Actually, there was a switch mid-year from having PayPal handle all the transactions to eBay handling all the transactions, so we actually received one 1099-K from PayPal for the first few months (both of our items combined since we were both using the same PayPal account) and two 1099-K's from eBay for the rest of the year.

My understanding, based on all that I've read on these posts, is that it would be most appropriate for us to report the 1099-K amounts as investment income since they are personal items sold in a garage sale manner. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) Since we were just selling miscellaneous stuff, much of which we’ve had for years, I’m understanding that we need to create a spreadsheet and estimate when and for how much we purchased the items. I’m guessing that most, if not all, of the items were sold at a loss.

The software allows you to enter ‘various’ as the purchase date but requires you to enter a specific date for the selling date. Does that mean that we will have to enter each item individually, even if they were all sold at a loss? And/or if some were a loss and some were a (very minor, if anything) gain?

Thanks!

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

There is no perfect way to do this. Schedule D has been tossed around the community, however, you can't take a loss on the sale of personal items. Also, the Investment section is used to report capital assets. You did not buy these items as an investment. Yes, if you go this route, you could total the amounts.

A cleaner way of doing this is reporting the 1099-K. Another problem with answering questions like this is, there is no "one size fits all". There are so many permutations to this.

These are just some of the questions regarding 1099-K.

1) Some of the things I sold pertained to a business, but some did not.

You have to separate the sales that were actually business vs those that were not. You have a hybrid situation.

2) None was business income. I sold old things I had laying around the house. This is not a business. You must include the 1099-K but you can zero out the income since you had no profit.

3) I did this so it's kind of a business but not really. Yes. It's a business. Report on Schedule C.

4) I bought and resold but it was a one-off type of thing.  You had a sporadic activity. It is other income.

The IRS simply states this.

What should I do with this information?

It is important that your business books and records reflect your business income, including any amounts that may be reported on Form 1099-K. You must report on your income tax return all income you receive from your business. In most cases, your business income will be in the form of cash, checks, and debit/credit card payments. Business income is generally referred to as gross receipts on income tax returns. Therefore, you should consider the amounts shown on Form 1099-K, along with all other amounts received, when calculating gross receipts for your income tax return.

1099-K

@vafamily 

The very first thing you must do is create an accurate record of what you sold. The best record is one that is contemporaneous, that is, made at the time of the sales. If you are audited, a listing reconstructed for a memory one year later will carry less weight than a contemporaneous record.

There are two potential ways of reporting your income.

1. You can report this as miscellaneous other income or hobby income.  Look at your final spreadsheet, and calculate that your net income is the total of all the items that were sold for more than the purchase price, ignoring losses from items sold for less than the purchase price.  Report this net income as hobby income.  (Remember that you must calculate item by item, and you can’t include selling expenses like shipping costs.) You would pay regular income tax, rather than the reduced capital gains rate, but you only need to make one entry.  Then, there are three ways you can choose to report the net income on your tax return.

a. Only report the net income, do not report the 1099‘s, and have your response prepared if and when the IRS send you a letter asking about the 1099‘s.

b. Only report the net income, and file by mail. Attach copies of the 1099s and a letter of explanation showing that you reported the net income on your tax return, and explaining how you calculated your net income.

c. Enter the 1099‘s as is, and then enter a negative offset income amount as described earlier in this discussion.

2. Or you can report the transactions as capital gains transactions on schedule D.  You would have to enter all the items.  When you enter the items, you would indicate that they were personal items so the TurboTax does not subtract losses from the gains. You will pay capital gains tax on the gains without adjusting for losses.  Because you aren’t directly entering the 1099 K anywhere on your tax return, you may get a letter from the IRS, and you would respond by pointing them to the schedule D and explaining the situation.

So, Ebay collects sales tax on all items and remits this to the IRS? Now the IRS is collecting income tax from sellers?

I am a casual seller who just does it to get rid of unwanted items around the house. Maybe $1000 this year at most.

Most items cost more than they sell for and are usually worth more the they sell for. Add administrative time, packing time and materials and shipping. Its hard to believe that after itemization that there is any profit.

I do not itemize and would prefer not to for $1000 worth of Ebay sales.

INTUIT and TURBOTAX: Please make sure this is handled in Turbotax 2022 with a question, "DO YOU HAVE ANY EBAY SALES"

Thank You

Sales tax goes to the states, not the IRS.  If eBay collects tax for you and remits it for you, then it's not part of your income.

Ebay is now required to report your gross sales to the IRS.  If you are buying and selling online, you have the responsibility of keeping track of your costs and revenue, and of proving to the IRS that you have no profit (because you only sold used items for less than their cost) or of showing the amount of net taxable income.

Turbotax already includes questions about whether or not you are engaged in a side business, and if you are, turbotax will bump you to the self-employed version and will ask you questions about your income and expenses.  I doubt Turbotax will create a special "online sales" module unless they think they can charge more for it.  All the programming functions you would need already exist in the program.

xAaronx

Cost Basis:
Does this include sales tax and shipping and handling?
Example: Bought a bike online for Item Price $500.00 + $50 tax + $50 shipping and handling. Total amount payed $600.00
If I sell this for $599 on ebay is it considered a loss?

@xAaronx 

Yes, your basis can include shipping if that is a cost that is required to complete the purchase.

ryder3

I have a question about selling items on Ebay. My brother passed away and I am in charge of selling his toy collections and then distributing proceeds to the family. Since I sell a lot on ebay, how would I handle the tax issue? I know I will get a 1099, however, I am not a hobbiest, not am I selling these as a business.

@ryder3 wrote:

I have a question about selling items on Ebay. My brother passed away and I am in charge of selling his toy collections and then distributing proceeds to the family. Since I sell a lot on ebay, how would I handle the tax issue? I know I will get a 1099, however, I am not a hobbiest, not am I selling these as a business

I will assume that you are your brother's executor or personal representative and you are selling the items on behalf of his estate.  Your sales proceeds should go into the estate, from which they will be distributed.  In that case the estate needs its own tax ID number.  The estate should have a separate bank account, a separate eBay account, and a separate PayPal account.  That way, the 1099-K comes to the estate, not you.  When a person dies, the heirs receive a stepped up cost basis on the items equal to the fair market value on the date of his death.  Unless you have items that greatly appreciate or depreciate in a few months, the selling prices will be the FMV, and any item sold at its stepped up cost basis has neither a taxable gain or a deductible loss.  The proceeds go to the estate and when the estate files a tax return, there are a couple ways to deal with the 1099-K to show it is not taxable income.   After the estate pays all its debts and taxes, the residue is distributed to the heirs.  

This is a bit of extra paperwork, but it is the right way to do it, as selling the items under your own name could create complications.

An alternate possibility is the estate can distribute the toys themselves to the heirs as property rather than money.  Then the heirs keep or sell them as desired.  (You will have to use approximate values to make an approximately equitable distribution.)  Each heir who wants to sell their toys needs their own individual Ebay and PayPal accounts.  You can certainly help with listing, shipping and so on, by logging in to each heir's account and managing the selling process.  Any 1099-Ks would come to the individual heirs who sold the property.  Each heir would report the 1099-K on their tax return.  As above, they inherit the toys with a stepped up basis, and since they are selling the toys at their cost basis, there is no gain or loss.  There are two ways to deal with this on a tax return under last years' rules.  We don't know if the IRS will create a new procedure this year since so many more people will be getting 1099-Ks.  The old procedures are,

1. Leave the 1099-K off the return.   File by mail and include a written explanation of why you left off the 1099-K.

2. Enter the 1099-K as "other income."  Then create a negative item of other income to offset the 1099-k, and e-file.  (You can give a description for the negative offset of something like "adjustment for items sold below cost basis". The IRS may ask later for an explanation of the negative item, you would reply with a letter of explanation and a copy of your records.  

ryder3

There was no estate. He had no assets. He had a toy collection. I am the only one selling those toys. The proceeds from the sales have gone to pay for burial. Now anything sold is extra. So how would I claim the income? As self employed, since I have incurred costs for selling and shipping items. I know it's complicated but trying to figure out the easiest way to navigate this.

@ryder3 wrote:

There was no estate. He had no assets. He had a toy collection. I am the only one selling those toys. The proceeds from the sales have gone to pay for burial. Now anything sold is extra. So how would I claim the income? As self employed, since I have incurred costs for selling and shipping items. I know it's complicated but trying to figure out the easiest way to navigate this.

Yes, he had an estate.  His estate is whatever was left behind.  (Estate is a legal term for whatever is left behind.  It doesn't have to be large. The estate is a legal entity that exists to carry on any business the deceased left behind.  Most of the time it just means rolling up final expenses and so forth.)

You can't legally do any of the things you did without being appointed the executor of his estate.  That's the person appointed by the state to handle the deceased's final affairs.  In the case of a small estate with little value, and where no one is disputing you as the choice of person to do those things, it might just mean filing a simple form with the county court.  It depends on your state law.  You can't sell or dispose of any of his assets without proper permission.

Then you have to determine who his heirs are, if he had no will.  You can't distribute property to where you think it should go, you have to distribute it according to state law.  If he was unmarried and had no children, the estate might be divided by siblings.  If he had children, they probably get it (but not you).  In some states, his spouse gets everything, but in other states, the spouse gets 50% and the rest is divided among children.  You need to review your state laws on intestacy (dying without a will).  

If he had income in the year he died, someone has to file a final tax return for the income he earned up to the date of his death.  Thats the responsibility of his personal representative or executor.  If taxes are not paid, the IRS can claw the money back from the heirs, because the heirs can't get any money until the taxes are paid.  There are no estate or death taxes for someone who owns less than $12 million when they died, but there might be income taxes owed on wages, pensions, or IRA distributions that were taken before he died.  

You can't distribute any money to the heirs until all debts are settled and all taxes are paid.  

If you are not the heir, you can't sell the property because it doesn't belong to you.  It either belongs to the estate or to the heirs.  If the estate owns the property, then you can sell it as a representative of the estate, but you are not a schedule C business.  You are disposing of property acquired over the years by the estate and the income belongs to the estate.  If you are an heir, you can sell property in your own name, but its still not a business because you are not making a profit.

If you sell tangible personal property without the idea of making a profit (here it is not a profit because the items are being sold for their stepped up cost basis) it's not taxable income, but you can't deduct any expenses like shipping.  Expenses can only be subtracted from taxable income and if the income isn't taxable, you don't have anything to subtract expenses from.

You should pause selling the items and get your situation corrected with the state or county court, then determine who actually owns the remaining toys.  Then the owner (who is maybe not you) can sell them.  I already described above why the sales proceeds are not taxable income to the heirs and is not business income.  You can't subtract or deduct expenses.  The proceeds just go to the heirs.  Then if a 1099-K is issued, you tell the IRS that the 1099-K is non-taxable.  I already told you how to do that, too. 

You may want to speak with an attorney or CPA who specializes in small estates. 

I'm sorry if this has already been offered, but what I've come up with...  it's not in complete conformance with the IRS instruction to use Schedule 1 lines 8z and 24z, but with the web version of TurboTax, I can't get it to work.  Short of the 1099-B or the Schedule C ,or the Desktop version (overriding lines) techniques, each of which have their own drawbacks, here's the next best thing that should work:

"After removing any other instances of personal sales 1099-K's from your return, go to Wages and Income -> Less Common Income -> Miscellaneous Income (109-A-, C, etc).  Enter a line with the Description "1099-K income from sale of personal items" and then then amount (ex, $2500). Continue from there and then you will get the "Other Miscellaneous Income Summary".  Click "+ Add another Miscellaneous Income Item" and you will be presented with another item for Description and Amount. Enter as Description: "Cost of 1099-K Goods Sold", and then for the amount "-2500" (negative $2500). These two items will be listed on your return, documenting that you have taken care of the 1099-K, and then if there is any question why you backed out that income, it should be self-explanatory if anyone goes to look at it that it is removing the income from that item!"

It seems really, really simple to go this way, and it does not incur an upgrade to Premiere or Small Business, all other things being equal.  Good luck! -btd

Going way back to my original post.... NO longer applicable to me

The IRS in its infinite wisdom (Republican pressure) has postponed enforcing the 1099k $600 threshold  2022 tax year, for now. A bill -  SR 26 will go before the House and Senate, called the SNOOP bill to set the amount back to 20k. Anything would be better than 600. So anybody else worried - will not get a 1099k from a 3rd party money handler, or whatever situation is appropriate, if they went over 600 but less than 20k.

This was Bidens idea, as part of the 2021 American Rescue Act. 

BTW God is handling all of what's going on in the secular world's evilness...

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The income you described sounds like Hobby income or Personal item sales.  TurboTax provides eight options for reporting 1099-K income.  See below.

To report Hobby income, follow these directions.

• Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click Wages & Income.
  • Click Show more to the right of Other Common Income.
  • Under Your income and expenses, click the Edit/Add button to the right of Form 1099-K.
  • At the screen Did you get a 1099-K? click Yes.
  • At the screen How would you like to enter your 1099-K? click Type it in myself.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Choose which type of income your 1099-K is for, select the button for Hobby income.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Let’s get the info from your 1099-K, enter the information.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Your 1099-K summary, notice that the income relates to ‘Hobby’.      Click Done.

The entry will be reported:

• on line 8j of Schedule 1 of the Federal 1040 tax return, and 
  • on line 8 of the Federal 1040 tax return.

Hobby income expense is not allowed to be reported.

Graphical user interface, text, application, email

Description automatically generated

@FlaSteve 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies