`

Can you please make TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7. I don't want to change my OS just to run TT. Perhaps if enough folks complain, TT will change its ridiculous plan. I've been a user for 20 years and this really ticks me off.

you don't need a win 10 computer if you use the online version of TT for your 2020 return.     otherwise unless TT changes it's mind you'll have to find another option.  

I use desktop because I have to prepare family returns. what i did was buy a 120GB SSD which i loaded win 10 on (free download from MS)  just to do tax return.   created dual boot.  fater finishing deleted dual boot and removed drive though technically could disable thru BIOS. 

Folks, it's simple: this is how to make it install on win7:

1. Run the official installer and wait until it shows the "win7 not supported" error dialog.

2. Do NOT close the dialog.

3. Search in your system TEMP folder for the extracted TurboTax files. You should see a "TurboTax 2019 Installer.exe" file or something like that.

4. Make a copy of the folder containing that .exe and all the other files in that folder.

5. Now you can click ok to close the "win7 not supported" error dialog.

7. Go to the folder where you made sure to copy the extracted files.

8. Run the "TurboTax 2019 Installer.exe".

9. It will again show some error log like "cannot run installer unless via setup.exe " or something like that.

10. Search again in your system TEMP folder for something like "TurboTax 2019 install.msi" (or a similar file with .msi file extension).

11. Make a copy of the folder containing the msi file.

12. Click ok to close the stupid "cannot run installer unless xyz" dialog.

13. Open a command prompt in Admin mode.

14. cd to the folder where you made a copy of the msi file.

15. Type the following: msiexec /i path_to_that_msi_file /passive

And voila, it will install, and no more Intuit stupidity. Also no need for win10, dual boot, laptops to buy, and other dumb things...

You're welcome.

TurboTax 2019 CD/Download software will install and run on a Windows 7 computer.  However, we strongly recommend upgrading your operating system before installing due to the fact that Microsoft no longer provides security updates or support for PCs running Windows 7.

Reference:  Minimum system requirements for TurboTax Windows s ...

Re: "TurboTax 2019 CD/Download software will install and run on a Windows 7 computer"

This statement is only partially true:

- US version of TurboTax 2019: win7 is accepted (but with a warning dialog).

- Canadian version of TurboTax 2019: win7 is REJECTED completely.  Hence the sequence of steps I was recommended previously, which will allow the install to proceed.

Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020.  Without the support and updates from Microsoft Windows 7 will lack the security to efile tax returns.  

This is the US forum thus all the answers here are for the US program.  

Like others I've been hoping that either the turbotax experts would tell us HOW to make Win7 work not just that it will work, or that community experts would find a straightforward procedure and let us know. As it happens I found a trivial solution that works on my computer, and hope it works for others. 

Go to the downloaded turbotax exe file, right-click, and choose Properties.

At the bottom of the properties box there's a statement that this file came from another computer and might be blocked to protect your computer. Beside it there's an Unblock button. Click it and everything works!

yes i am also leaving turbo tax for another tax software, yes i do know i can use it one more time but why if turbo is dropping support, absolutely absurd to force a windows upgrade JUST to use your software, are you freakin kidding me????? h&r block will import turbo files, on the phone right now to see if they are dropping support as well, if so, move to another competitor, total bs, bu bye

TurboTax for tax year 2019 and QuickBooks 2020 will install on Windows 7 (Service Pack 1 or later) PCs. However, they strongly recommend upgrading your operating system before installing these products.

.

As of January 14, 2020, Microsoft no longer provides security updates or support for PCs running Windows 7. This means that computers running on Windows 7 will be more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. To avoid these risks, Microsoft recommends upgrading to Windows 10.

This didn't work for me. I was able to get the setup.exe file from the first few steps, but running that isn't generating an .msi file in any temp directory that I can install. Nothing gets created in my temp directory when I run that. The installer creates a file called lite.log with an entry that makes it look like they've patched this workaround to prevent us from getting it installed on Windows 7: OS is windows 7 and checking if we [sic] user trying to install directly from TurboTax installer.exe

Are you sure it was the real system temp folder the one you were looking into? By default it's C:\Windows\Temp, but to be sure, or for those customizing it to be something else, fire up a cmd.exe and do:

echo %TEMP%

The .msi does definitely get extracted there. Sometime inside an additional subdir, with a random name.

Best bet: Run the official installer, and let it show that "win7 no longer a supported os" warning dialog. Without closing the dialog (so that the installer is still in memory, along with the extracted files including the .msi), do a full search on all of your local drives / partition, for "*msi" or "*intuit*.msi" or "*tax*.msi" (can't remember the exact name, but I may have mentioned it in my original reply?).

Or feel free to contact me at my userid followed by at geeemaaaail and the rest.

[or to your point, maybe they "patched" my suggested workaround, and they're either hiding the .msi harder, or they bootstrap the installer differently. Stupid Intuit Canada! Anyway, feel free to contact me and I can help you getting it working]

Thanks for such a quick reply. I was confused because I wasn't running a Canadian version, but I think I have it figured out. By default my Windows firewall blocks any unknown program from accessing the Internet, and I continued to let it block setup.exe from getting to the Internet because it shouldn't need Internet access for any reason. But once I allowed it to access the Internet, I was able to install on Windows 7 without any workarounds.

For the record, there was definitely no MSI created. I even ran it in a sandboxed environment that lets me see any files created, and so I'm 100% positive that my version didn't create an MSI anywhere. I guess that's most likely due to it not being the Canadian verison, though.

Oh, the "official" lack of Win 7 support for the TurboTax 2019 is applicable SOLELY to the Canadian version. The US version has been, and continue to be, more flexible (I've been using them both, so I know). The reason for the US version being more flexible may be that the Americans can talk with their wallets much easier - comparing to the Canadian folks who got so accustomed with the status-quo and the Feudal Lords.

Btw, another fundamental, this time technical, difference between the US and Canadian versions (this time with an advantage for the latter) is that the Canadian one is still C++/native based implementation (or at least until the 2018 version), which is slim and fast baby. Whereas for the last year or two, the US version started to use .NET - less ideal, more RAM and disk hungry - bloated implementation.

I'm glad that you've solved the issue you were having. And please remember, even a software firewall or other host intrusion prevention software, can easily prevent .exe, scripts and other files, from being created/extracted into system temp directories.  That can be a problem even if the app or its installation packaging is different in the US version.

All the best.