turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

halls711

Can I get a new download onto my new computer?

Can I download TT to my new computer, after I already downloaded it to my old one?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can I get a new download onto my new computer?

@halls711   wrote
Can I download TT to my new computer, after I already downloaded it to my old one?

Yes.   With your one license you can have up to 5 activations on computers that you own.

You have a couple of options on what to do in your situation.

NOTE:   You didn't say how/where you originally acquired the installation file.   Option One below assumes you downloaded the original installation file from your online TurboTax account and not from a third-party retailer like Amazon, BestBuy, Staples, etc.  

Option One:

Log into the Online account from which you downloaded the installation file the first time.   It should be in the downloads section of your account.   Here is a direct link to the Downloads section of your online account:

https://shopping.turbotax.intuit.com/app/downloads/

Option Two:

Here is an alternate approach.  On the old computer you can copy the installation file that you originally downloaded to a thumb drive and use the thumb drive to move a copy of the installation file to the second computer.  Then you can install from that same installation file. 

NOTE:  If you use that method, do NOT install it while it resides on the thumb drive.  At the destination computer, copy it from the thumb drive onto the main drive of the new computer, and then install it from the main drive.

Have you had the original installation file for a long time?   If so, the advantage of Option One is that there "might" be a newer version of the installation file now available in your account.   The installation file in the account is occasionally updated to a more recent version.  So you could be starting with a "fresher" installation file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies