Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can entire scholarship be claimed as taxable income to receieve american opportunity credit?

So on 1098-t, box-1 qualified tuition and related expenses are only $2835 and box 5 - scholarship and grant the amount is $4393
I found that if we use entire scholarship of $4393 as taxable income ..student is eligible for American opportunity tax credit and that reduces her tax...actually getting a refund.
So is it legal to use entire scholarship as taxable income (i.e. for room and board) even though technically student might have paid $2835 (tuition fees) from this scholarship and rest was used for personal expenses.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can entire scholarship be claimed as taxable income to receieve american opportunity credit?

Not only is that legal it is highly encouraged ... it is a win win for the parents and the student.  And you only need to make $4000 taxable for the max AOC  credit. 

Thanks for quick response...

I understand that for full AO tax credit one needs to declare only 4000$ as taxable income but I found that if we claim entire $4393 as taxable income total AO is $884 and earned income credit is $336 but if we choose only $4000..total AO credit is $844 and eic is $367 

So  total refund is not a big difference ..in case of $4393 it is $191 and in case of $4000 it is $182

So what is your suggestion ?

should he choose entire $4393 or just $4000?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies