Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jenbob818

Box 10a for Form 1099-G does not have an option for Tennessee, even though that is the state the issued unemployment. Do I leave blank even with red exclamation?

There is no option to type in the state. Unsure how to proceed with taxes on unemployment.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Box 10a for Form 1099-G does not have an option for Tennessee, even though that is the state the issued unemployment. Do I leave blank even with red exclamation?

There is no state income tax on most income in the State of Tennessee, including unemployment compensation. You should leave blank Box 10a-11 empty when you input your 1099-G.  

For the 2020 tax year, the Tennessee levied a 1% flat-rate tax on all income earned from interest and dividends. However, this will be repealed for the 2021 tax year. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Vivianne

Here's the problem - this box is required to finish. Yes, there's no state tax, but it still requires the user to input what state it IS. And Tennessee is the ONLY state not in the drop down list. 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

In this case, all three boxes - 10a, 10b, and 11 - should be blank. Are they?

If they are all blank (or empty - sometimes this is different), then you should not get this error message.

Try clicking the trash can icon on the far right to clear the three boxes.

@Vivianne

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies