Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bonus received as 1099 even though I was a W2 employee

I worked for a company as a W2 employee until July 2019, at which time the company went out of business. I was eventually paid a bonus for my work with this company but I did not actually receive the check until February 2020. The check had no taxes taken out of it as it was not included in payroll.

I think I will be receiving a 1099 from them come tax time next year since there were no taxes taken out of the bonus. Is this correct or should I be filing form 8919? If it makes a difference, while I received a W2 from them for 2019, I will not be receiving a W2 from them for 2020 as they went out of business in July 2019. Thank you for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you are an employee any bonus you receive should be included on your W-2 and taxes taken out.   it may be that your employer paid you a net amount and will gross it up and include it on your w-2.   

if it doesn't you can report it to the IRS

Thanks. I know for a fact that I received a check with the gross amount and not the net amount with taxes taken out.

My issue is that the company went out of business in 2019 but I didn’t receive the bonus until 2020. So I won’t be receiving a W2 from them next year but will be getting a 1099. Will this be an issue since I won’t be receiving a W2 from them during the same year that I received the bonus?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies