turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cspence13

Basically when I did my taxes this year I wasn't able to get the same 1000 refund that I got last year for being in college. I was told the law might change to allow it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Basically when I did my taxes this year I wasn't able to get the same 1000 refund that I got last year for being in college. I was told the law might change to allow it?

Why didn't I get a credit or deduction for education expenses?

To get a credit or deduction for education expenses, you have to pay tuition or related costs for yourself, your spouse, or another dependent on your return. If you paid tuition or other education expenses for someone who's claimed on another person's return, you won't qualify.

If any of these things are true, you also won't qualify:

• Your filing status is married filing separately.
  • Your Adjusted Gross Income on your tax return is too high.
    • American Opportunity Tax Credit limit is $90,000 ($180,000 for joint returns).
    • Lifetime Learning credit limit is $65,000 ($130,000 for joint returns).
    • Tuition and Fees Deduction limit is $80,000 ($160,000 for joint returns).
  • Your expenses were paid with tax-free scholarships, fellowships, grants, education savings account funds, tax-free savings bond interest, or employer-provided education assistance.

Related Information:

It is an urban myth that you can get a $1,000 Federal tax refund just for being in college.  Most college students are dependents, and thus do not qualify.  Are you perhaps asking  about a proposed state tax credit?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies