Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bad Debt? I made a deposit of around 100K (from my personal income) to a contractor in a foreign country to build me a house. He went bankrupt and did not do any construction or pay me back. Can I deduct this as a non-business bad debt?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Bad Debt? I made a deposit of around 100K (from my personal income) to a contractor in a foreign country to build me a house. He went bankrupt and did not do any construction or pay me back. Can I deduct this as a non-business bad debt?

I have documents about the payment and an official contract between us.

IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may have a deductible non-business bad debt. It doesn't matter if the contractor is from another country. In order to be deductible, the debt must be completely worthless, meaning that there is no chance of getting any of your deposit back.  See IRS Publication 550, page 55 for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since this involves your personal home, I don't think you have any deductible loss.  if it was investment property you were buying, you would have a short-term capital loss (non-business bad debt) reported on schedule D.  without other capital gains the maximum you could  deduct per year is $3,000.  

Thank you for the response. 

I forgot to mention that this was indeed for an investment property, intention to rent the units out or sell them for profit is stated on the contract. It is not a "house" but condo units in a would-be new development.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies