turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are my weekly metro card expenses to meet my clients deductible? I am self-employed

I am a private tutor and I meet my students at their homes, public libraries or local cafés, I usually commute by bus or metro.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Are my weekly metro card expenses to meet my clients deductible? I am self-employed

Yes your metro card expense is deductible since you are self-employed and that is your mode of transportation to meet your clients.  The expense would be listed under transportation.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Another expert answered a similar question differently here. If I understand this explanation correctly, if you have to have a work place where you conduct your business regularly, and if you travel to meet a client, that may be deductible.

MayaD
Expert Alumni

If your home is your principal place of business you can deduct the metro expenses for transportation between your home and other regular or temporary work locations to meet your clients.

Right, but the question is how "principal place of business" is determined. TT asked if I do my work mostly in my apartment and I had to answer No because my client requires me on-site most of the time last year and TT determined I may not claim part of my apartment rent as business expense.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

If you have a home office you use exclusively for business you can claim a home office deduction.  Even though you do most of your work at your client's location, if you have an office to do billing, prepare lessons, review assignments, etc. you can deduct your home office.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies