Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi,

This form was supposed to be updated on 2/20, it doesnt look like it was? Any future date known?

Thanks,

K

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

65 Replies
ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Form 8615 will be available on 03/04/2020. For more information please click the link below.

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dlj8
Returning Member

I checked through the link you posted and it says it available for both print and e-file.  When will TT have it available?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

In the link it says it is available 3/04/20.

me57

as of 2/26/2020 there is no entry in that list linked for form 8615.  I see in the comments it will be available 3/4 (delayed from 2/26 stated last week,and 2/20 the week before). Can anyone explain why? The form is available on the IRS site!

I've been trying to figure out the same problem because it's the only holdup to filing for my kid.  I found a pro series thread about this issue (see below link), and it says that the Turbo Tax forms had the wrong numbers to begin with and they are having to correct them.  I'm assuming the regular TT version is the same problem.  Any changes in online forms have to go back through the approval process with the IRS.  I don't think it's as simple as TT updating the calculations and reposting -- it actually has to be approved first and IRS probably holding things up.  I just wish TT would give a real date, rather than changing it every time the deadline passes.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-discussions/discussion/form-8615-not-r[product key...

The form 8615 is no longer even listed on Intuit's "Federal Individual Form Availability" page (https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_windows_individual.htm...).

This is worrisome!

I have to agree about the date, I saw 2/5, 2/12, 2/20, 2/27, and now 3/5. I wish we could get an actual date rather than just pushing it back.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

We understand how frustrating the delay is, and apologize  for the inconvenience.

Every new or updated tax form must pass several checkpoints before we can call it "final" in TurboTax. Here's how it works:

1. The government must approve the form to make sure it follows the tax law.
  2. The government then has to approve the tax software-specific version of that form.
  3. We then rigorously test the form in the software to ensure it's accurate.
  4. The government gives our form their final stamp of approval.
  5. We can then include it in the TurboTax program.

We expect Form 8615 to be ready March 5 (subject to change).  For current information on forms availability, please click on this link:  Federal forms availability

grebex5

What is the holdup? I have been seeing a new updated date since 2/5/20. 

This is the only thing holding up my kids returns.

Is there any way to escalate this?  The expected date has changed over and over, making us wonder if this form has fallen victim to some error in the availability process.  Any way to get someone on the Turbo Tax development team to manually check what the holdup is?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@zeblon  Unfortunately, no. The IRS has to finalize and approve the form for e-filing and print before the form is available on TurboTax.

IRS Form Availability

bobal
Returning Member

The 2019 Form 8615 is available without restriction from irs.gov.  Furthermore it's not like there are a large number of updates causing the hold, so what is the real reason for the holdup and can we basically manually use the pdf form from irs.gov and fillout manually and include. 

bobal

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

This form is not available until 3/5/2020. 

The fact that the forms are available on the IRS website has nothing to do with any tax software program.  The forms are available if you are going to download to complete on your own.  However, e-filing is different.  Once the form is finalized by the IRS, it has to be coded into the special language the software uses and has to be thoroughly tested for calculations and e-filing acceptability.  IRS then has to approve it for e-file.  It always takes a little longer for a form to become available for e-file in a software program.  I hope this helps you understand the situation.  At this point, the IRS expects to approve the form 8615 on TurboTax e-file as  03/05/2020.  

@bobal

bx
Level 2

Form 8615 is now not showing on the list at all. When will it be available?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies