Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401 k

Because my termination of my job, My 401k $11,742.13 contribution in 2023 have made a rollover ( by my trustee company) to my new IRA account at the same trustee . In addition, my another pre-employer also have made a rollover $2500 to my IRA account at another trustee company.

My question is how much can I contribute pre-tax IRA in 2023 or before Apr. 2024 besides the above two rollover activities?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JaredS_CPA
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

401 k

Hello yijian,

Thank you for joining us today. If I understand your question correctly, rollovers do not affect the contribution limits for the tax year unless some of those rolled over amounts represent contributions for the tax year.

For example, the IRA contribution limit for 2023 is $6,500 ($7,500 for age 50+) and you had just over $14,000 rolled over into your IRA in 2023. If all that $14,000 was from prior years, then you can still contribute $6,500 ($7,500).

On the other hand, if you already contributed $2,000 and it was part of that $14,000 rolled over, then you can only contribute $4,500 ($5,500) more for the 2023 tax year.

Please note:  the answers above were given under the assumption that you have not been reemployed and only address contributions to an IRA. If you have been re-employed, or are self-employed now, things could be different depending on any retirement plans available to you at work and what your income is. Here is an excellent article for further consideration.

I hope that helps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

401 k

$2000 is my pre-employer  who made  that rollover for me. In 2023, I did not contribute any money to my IRA account. $14000 and $2000 are the money made  rollover by my two pre-employers. 

JaredS_CPA
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

401 k

Okay, so if you don't have an employer sponsored retirement plan and meet the income threshold shared in that article, then you are able to contribute up to $6,500 for 2023.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies