Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 Supplimental Cost Basis Adjustment

my non reported supplimental 1099 has different cost basis than my reported 1099-B (which was just estimated) . How do I make sure the IRS has the proper matching information that I am using from the supplimental 1099? The supplimental was not provided to them due to my disposal method. I should use the proper cost basis in the supplimental correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

You will report whichever cost basis is actually correct, regardless of whether or not your 1099-B reported it correctly. When you are making these entries in TurboTax, please be sure to check the box that says "The cost basis is incorrect or missing on my 1099-B". Please be sure to keep copies of the records supporting the actual cost basis. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello, I could not figure out how to send a question to an expert, that is why I reply to an existing one. 

My wife has 401K and the amount was $10,000 (all number are imaginary for the privacy reasons)
She took $6000, transferred it to her bank account and leave $4000 on 401K. Then she took $2500 from the remained $4000 and leave 1500 on 401K.
So, she had $10,000 and took $6000 + $2500=$8500.

She received 1099-R form with code 7 from the MATRIX TRUST COMPANY for her distribution of $6000 and she received one more 1099-R with code G from the MATRIX TRUST COMPANY for her $4000 (but she did not transfer this $4000 to her bank account. She transfers only $2500, and she received 1099-R form with code 7 from McCauley Investment Advisory, LLC for her distribution of $2500.

When I entered all three 1099-R forms in turbo tax, it totals the distribution to $6000 + $4000 + $2500 = $12,500.
But it is not correct, since she transferred to her bank only $8,500, and her total distribution should be $8,500.
Why her total distribution is incorrect in Turbo Tax?  

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

The total distribution in TurboTax is exactly what you posted to your tax return.

The issue in question is the $4,000 from MATRIX TRUST COMPANY.  Did you roll that entire amount into another retirement account, and then withdraw the $2,500 and put it in the bank.

G in box 7 is a direct rollover of a distribution to a qualified plan.  In the interview on that 1099-R did you check that it was rolled over into another retirement account.  If you do this it will correct the problem.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. I probably did not do that. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies