Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jc168
Returning Member

1099 nec settlement

I received a 1099 nec for a settlement I’m not self employed 

after entering the information it says that I’m missing info but I filled out all the questions including clicking  its a lawsuit.

ive seen other people post the same problem but I don’t know how they ended up fixing it 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

1099 nec settlement

Form 1099-NEC is generally intended to be used for nonemployee compensation that is earned by a contractor or other self-employed individual. If you received a payment that was reported on a Form 1099-NEC, but you didn't receive the income for work as self-employed on an ongoing basis, you can enter it in TurboTax and identify the reason for the payment:

• In Wages and Income, select Other Common Income and See More
  • Select Form 1099-NEC
  • Answer the questions that appear, and enter a description of the reason for the payment
  • At the screen, "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?", select "This was a lawsuit settlement" if that is the best choice, or enter that it was from a one-time activity (so that it doesn't incorrectly get identified as self-employment income).
  • Answer the question regarding whether any of the payment was for back wages

See this thread for another discussion of this topic.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
KTom
Level 2

1099 nec settlement

I have the same question, I received a 1099-NEC for a legal settlement. In TurboTax Premier, I used the 1099-MISC and Other Common Income section to enter the 1099-NEC. Once I entered all the information, I was asked the question 'Does one of these uncommon situations apply?', I selected the radio button 'This was a money from lawsuit settlement.'.  The next question was 'Was any part of the lawsuit settlement for back wages?',  I selected the 'No' radio button as it was not for back wages. 

Now, I get the message 'Looks like we're missing some info', one of your 1099-NEC forms doesn't include enough info for us to know where to report the income on your return. We recommend you go back and Edit the following form, answering all the questions so that we can link it to the right activity. 

I have answered all questions correctly as expected. What should I do now so that 1099-NEC is reported correctly on my TurboTax IRS return?

LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

1099 nec settlement

There is a work around to get your settlement income to get reported correctly on your tax return. 

First you will need to delete the 1099-NEC.  To do this:

1. Open your return
  2. Click on Federal Taxes
  3. Go to Wages & Income 
  4. Under Other Common Income, Revisit Form 1099-NEC
  5. Delete it

To enter the settlement again :

1. Go to Wages & Income
  2. Scroll to the bottom under Less Common Income select Start (or Update) for Miscellaneous Income.
  3. Choose Other reportable income 
  4. Answer Yes to Any Other Taxable Income
  5. On the next screen enter the description and amount

Your settlement will now get reported as Other Income on your tax return.  Feel free to reach back if you have any other questions.  

@KTom 

KTom
Level 2

1099 nec settlement

Thanks!! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies