turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dayzlily

1099-NEC received for expense reimbursement

I was a guest speaker for a non-profit that was unable to pay me for my time, but did offer to reimburse my travel expenses, including mileage and hotel expenses. I received a 1099-NEC for the amount they reimbursed me for, but this should not be taxed as income.

I understand this typically gets reported a Schedule C and expenses be entered to offset the amount.

But, I can't do this without paying twice as much to get TurboTax Self-Employed. I am not self employed.

Is there a more appropriate way to report this elsewhere, or am I stuck upgrading to a product I shouldn't really need?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

1099-NEC received for expense reimbursement

You were not due a 1099-NEC from the non-profit unless they contracted with you to perform a service their employees normally do.  You can contact the payer ask them to void the 1099 since the payment was not compensation.

The IRS explains that, in general, you must report payments on you make on a 1099-NEC if they meet the following four conditions:

1. It is made to someone who is not your employee
  2. It is made for services in the course of your trade or business (not reimbursements of costs)
  3. It is made to an individual, partnership, estate, or in some cases a corporation
  4. The total is at least $600 for the year

If the non-profit will not void the 1099, you are also not required to report self-employed income that results in less than $400 of net income (gross income minus expenses).  In your case, your net income is $0 and does not have to be reported.  To cover your bases, you should be sure to keep the expense receipts with the 1099-NEC you received in case you need to answer a future query.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies