turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

derFisch
Returning Member

1099-NEC asks for EIN for my payer, but I do not have any eligible payers or an EIN

I'm a self-employed artist, and Turbotax directs me to fill out a 1099-NEC form. I don't have any clients who have paid over $600, so I haven't received any 1099s, and don't have an EIN, SSN, or any of the specific information it asks for from any of my clients. I contacted an agent, and they told me to put in my own SSN, but it wasn't the right format and wasn't accepted. I get the feeling I'm doing something totally wrong, but I'm not sure what.

I'm very new to filing while self-employed, so if there's anything technical, please explain it like I'm 5.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

1099-NEC asks for EIN for my payer, but I do not have any eligible payers or an EIN

Since you did not receive any Form 1099-NEC from any payers, do not go through the section to enter any Form 1099-NEC.

The advice you were given to enter your own Social Security number on the Form 1099-NEC was wrong.  If you had received a Form 1099-NEC, then everything you need would have been on the form.  

Instead, when you are going through the self-employed/business section of your return to enter your income and expenses for being a self-employed artist, enter all of your income as 'cash'.  You will have your own records showing what your clients paid you and you will simply enter the total amount you were paid for the business income.

Use the following steps to go back to the section where you were trying to enter the Form 1099-NEC and delete those entries so they will not cause any further issues:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “1099-NEC” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-NEC
  • Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link

This will bring you to the summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
derFisch
Returning Member

I tried this, but clicking the search button just leads me to a page that shows me the phone number to call for their support line.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

If you are using TurboTax Online and logged in to your tax return, look for the magnifying glass in the upper right corner of the screen.  Clicking on the magnifying glass will open the search box so you can type '1099-NEC'.  Take a look at the picture below for a visual reference.

@derFisch

derFisch
Returning Member

Like I said, clicking that just leads me to the page I described earlier.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

You are able to file a Schedule C without a payer's EIN or a 1099-NEC. When you are inputting information for your Schedule C, click on the option Other self-employed income under Common Income. This includes cash and checks received and income not reported on any particular 1099 form. 

You will only have to enter the type of income (example: cash) and the amount for your Schedule C. 

Please follow these steps in TurboTax to revise your Schedule C income field:

1. Open your return.
  2. Search schedule c with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page.
  3. Go to the Jump to schedule c link in the search results. 
  4. Click Edit next to your self-employment.
  5. Use the trash can tool to delete prior entry of income inputted.
  6. Click on Add income for this work.
  7. Click on the option Other self-employed income under Common Income.
  8. Follow the on-screen instructions.

@derFisch

adammph

Thank you! I was struggling with this for so long. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies