turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ramakicha
Returning Member

1099-B gross proceeds zero needs info yes

I am filing federal tax using turbotax deluxe. When I automatically import a 1099-B from a brokerage account with the account number and document ID, closer to 100's of items have "zero" gross process with "needs info" stating YES. Also for all of these items the tax has been withheld. Can I delete these 100s of "zero" proceeds items or should I "Edit" each of them? When I click "Edit", it is asking details for box 1B, box 1e and "Sale Category".  For reference, I am attaching a sample screen shot. What is the easy way to address this problem?

There are 100's of items that needs attention like this.There are 100's of items that needs attention like this.

I am able to match the cusip that "needs info" and find the corresponding entries of 1D and 1E from 1099-B as in the image below. For each of these 100 entries, do I need to match the cusips and enter individually? Also what should I enter for Sale Category -- "Box A -- short term covered" or "Box B -- short term non-covered" or "Box C -- short term non-reported"? How will I determine for each of the cusips?

Sample CUSIP in 1099BSample CUSIP in 1099B

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Ignore that error and proceed to file your return when ready..

Come back again if you still have a problem then.

ramakicha
Returning Member

During the smart check, it reports "Fix Errors". The smart check asked to enter "Category" and "Cost or Adjusted basis" for the all the zero entries. I chose "Short-Term" and zero respectively for all items. After this when we re-run "smart check" there are no more errors. When we revisited the 100s of items with zero gross proceeds in the 1099-B column of "Wages and Income", it has our entered value of "Box B - Short Term noncovered" for category and zero for cost or adjusted basis columns. In the case of category for all other non-zero items, it has "Box A - Short Term covered". 

Is this alright? Can I continue to process the returns @fanfare ?

"it has our entered value of "Box B - Short Term noncovered" for category "

Is that really what you chose to enter?

Your category should match the category the broker gives you, unless 

you are using category C or F.

You chose to proceed with edits, so I can't tell you if what you did is correct or not.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies