Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gym4jim
Returning Member

Questions on Turbo Tax 2021 Premier.

I have two questions:

I will need to file a state tax with a state I do not live in, as I sold some vacant land there. Will this present a problem obtaining the one state allotment, with Premier, for a state other than the one I live in?

Also, does one have a choice to either send their return in electronically or on paper via regular mail?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

@ gym4jim wrote:

I have two questions:

I will need to file a state tax with a state I do not live in, as I sold some vacant land there. Will this present a problem obtaining the one state allotment, with Premier, for a state other than the one I live in?

Also, does one have a choice to either send their return in electronically or on paper via regular mail?

Thank you!

You didn't mention a Federal return, so I'll assume you haven't already filed one, and that you need to also prepare and file a Federal return, too.    TurboTax cannot prepare a standalone state return.   I'll also assume you are referring to desktop Premier (CD/download), which comes with one included state program.

The included state program can be for whatever state you desire, so yes, it can be for a non-resident state.  A lot of people live in states with no income tax, and don't need to file one for their own state, but need to file one for a non-resident state.  Perhaps that is your situation.  You didn't mention if you also have a resident state return to file or not.    If you have both a resident and non-resident state return to prepare, you should prepare the non-resident state first.  Also, there would be a $45 fee for the 2nd state program.   If you have only the one state to prepare, then that won't apply to you.

Yes, you can choose to either efile the returns, or to print and mail.  Efiling is recommended.    If filing a printed Federal return by mail, it is currently taking the IRS 6 months or longer to process.   The time for processing a paper state return varies from state to state, but should be a lot less than than the Federal return. 

NOTE:  Be aware that in the desktop program there is a 24.99 fee to efile the state return (no fee for New York state), and no fee to print and mail the state return.

Actually the Deluxe Federal and State combo can handle the situation you describe.   All of the desktop editions prepare the same Federal forms.  They vary in the amount of help and guidance.   If you do decide to buy desktop Deluxe, be aware that it comes in 2 versions--one with an included state program (Deluxe Federal and State combo), and a version that is Federal-only (no included state).  So if you go with Deluxe, be careful which one you buy so that you get the included state.

Basic Edition does not come with a state program and cannot import data from ItsDeductible.

@gym4jim 

I added a little more info to my answer above.  You may have been emailed the original answer, but can return to the forum to see the full answer.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you file your federal tax return by mail you cannot file the state electronically. If you e-file your federal return, you can file the state either electronically or by mail.

@rjs wrote:

If you file your federal tax return by mail you cannot file the state electronically. If you e-file your federal return, you can file the state either electronically or by mail.

@gym4jim 

Good point by @rjs .   I may have caused some confusion in my original statement in my first answer to you above.  I've since revised it for clarity.

We don't how you to wish to file your returns and what your concern is about filing methods; i.e., we don't know why you are asking.  But as rjs wrote, if you file your Federal return on paper by mail, that also locks you into filing your state return on paper by mail.    If you choose to efile the Federal return, then you have a choice for the state return--either by efile or on paper in the mail.

As I mentioned previously, filing a Federal return on paper can delay processing for 6 months or longer.    If you decide to file any return on paper in the mail, then I'd recommend mailing by a method that has tracking, such as certified mail or priority mail.

Thank you for your answer. It covered exactly what I needed to now!

Jim

You're welcome.  Good luck.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies