Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Questions on mortgage interest deduction with rental become primary

I have a question on the mortagage interest itemized deduction.

I have a property from rental to personal primary home in 2023. The mortgage amount is greater than $750,000

My understanding is that for the part of interest I paid at the time for rent, I can have all the interest deducted for rental income, while for the part of my personal usage, it is subjected to 750,000 cap, is that correct?

If so, it seems turbotax is auto putting the mortgage interest as itemized deduction after I typed the mortagage interest for rental and disregard the 750,000 cap.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Questions on mortgage interest deduction with rental become primary

Yes, you are correct. It is the personal portion that is being limited specifically for itemized deductions. This type of situation becomes complex for the mortgage interest calculation.

1. Enter in your rental expenses only the rental portion of mortgage interest, then use the rest for your personal return. Your rental property was 100% rental until you converted it to personal use.  Do not use rental days in your rental activity. Instead use 100% business use, then select This item was sold……, and then Select 'Yes' for Special Handling due to 'You converted the asset to 100% personal use'.
  2. You will use the average mortgage balance at the end of the year for your itemized deductions.  Use the worksheet in IRS Publication 936 to arrive at the correct mortgage interest for your home, allowed on itemized deductions.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies