Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Questions about Part year filing, state allocation and RSUs

Hello TT community - I hope I can get some help here, I have a few topics that I would love to get clarification on, so I will do my best to explain:

• I lived in Massachusetts for part of 2020; from January 1st 2020 till May 29th 2020. I bought a house in Arizona in March 2020, but we weren't able to move to the new house until late May 2020 as mentioned above, so we stayed in our MA house as it was not selling due to Covid. We then finally sold our MA house in August 2020 after we moved to AZ, so we owned two homes for about 5 months. 
    • Question here is, do I put that we ended MA residency on May 29th 2020 or do I put the ate we bought the new house in AZ even though we were still living in MA?

• I was a remote worker in MA and still am even after moving to AZ working for the same employer, and I updated my address first week of June with my employer.
    • Question is, do I just go by the numbers in boxes 15-17 of my W2 and I don't have to "allocate" anything when doing my taxes? I received two copies of W2s, one with only MA information and all blank federal related boxes, and the other W2 had AZ's information on it.  

• RSUs: I am trying to understand how RSUs work, my company usually "sells to cover", where they'd sell some of the shares to cover taxes for us every vesting period. All vesting periods in 2020 did tax partly to MA even while living in AZ so box 16 of my MA W2 is showing a bit of a high number, and when TurboTax at some point asks us for the "Total wages", they add both boxes 16s together (MA and AZ), so I am just confused on whether I just punch the numbers from the W2 or if there is anything "manual" that I need to calculate, like "allocating" income based on dates of residence. 

Please let me know if you want me to clarify any of my questions. 

Thanks! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies