Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

granddog

Question regarding IL tax credit

In 2022 I held a NY based job for the entirety of the year. From Jan to end of July I lived in IL, telecommuted to my NY job, and my employer withheld IL tax. My lease ended so I then moved to NY and lived there from August to end of December. During this time my employer stopped withholding IL tax and began withholding NY tax.

As I understand it, NY taxes all income earned regardless of whether you telecommuted or physically worked in the office as long as the employer is NY based correct? This means I will essentially be double taxed on the income I earned while telecommuting from IL as I currently see it. However, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, I believe that the form I am looking for is schedule CR? As I see it, I can use this form to claim tax credit for this portion of my income that I earned in while living in IL right? This essentially means I will get all of the IL withheld tax back to which I can then use to pay off my NY balance. At least I am hoping that can be the case. I would appreciate any clarifications/tips and pardon me if I left out key information. Please advise if so and forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post my inquiry in. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Question regarding IL tax credit

Yes, according to the NY Department of Taxation, "You are entitled to claim this nonrefundable credit if: the pass-through entity tax was paid on income sourced to the other state, local government within another state, or the District of Columbia; and. the pass-through entity tax was paid on income included in your New York adjusted gross income." 

You can claim the credit for taxes paid to another state by following these steps:

1. Complete Non-resident state first
  2. Start NY Return
  3. Continue through return until you get to "Take a look at New York credits and taxes", Scroll down to Credit for Taxes Paid
  4. Click Start next to Taxes paid to Another State

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies