Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question on Section 1256 gain / loss algorithm

Hello,

Can someone please provide the Section 1256 gain / loss algorithm for the following transactions which happen within a calendar year?

Investor sells a Section 1256 covered call contract which settles for the underlying secutiry (ie, not cash).  Call premium is received for the sale.

On expiration date, the Section 1256 call contract is in the money (the strike price is below the underlying price).  The contract is assigned, and Investor sells the underlying to the Section 1256 call holder.

What is the Section 1256 gain / loss of that transaction?  Please include call premium received, and any Section 1256 mark to market gain / loss.

Thanks in advance!

I ask this question because my broker is telling me that Section 1256 contracts do not have mark to market losses when they are in the money and exercised by the call holder on expiration day.   My broker says Section 1256 contracts have mark to market gain / loss accounting every day that they are active, but on expiration the mark to market loss of a losing section 1256 trade is always zero.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Is there anybody out there?

This is a standard transaction for MLP options (since they may be classified as section 1256 contracts).

Surely someone knows the answer......

Still awaiting a response if anyone has knowledge of this question......

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies