turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about selling second home and taxes

Hi All,

Need some help with the below situation.

Bought a home 20 yrs back, and it was rented for 3 yrs between those 10 yrs. i.e. years 1,2 and 3 personal home, years 4,5,6 it was rental, year 7 and 8 was vacant but CPA claimed depreciation, then years 9 to 20 personal home (no depreciation claimed in taxes). Then Sold it last year 2023.

I am now filing taxes (I am using turbo tax) and I have a few questions:

- do I file this as a sale of personal home or a mix of personal and business property? (TT has both options)

- there was depreciation claimed in returns for years 4,5,6,7 and 8. So, how do I recapture this?

- year 7 and 8 nobody lived but in the tax the CPA claimed depreciation. Do I still recapture this? The thing to note was that this depreciation didn't reduce my taxes. The tax form says final deduction allowed as 0.

- This was a foreign home and I paid taxes on the sale. In form 1116 how do I enter this deduction? typically it asks for income and tax paid. Here is the income the sale price or the gains?

- Apart from improvement costs and selling cost, are there any other deductions I can take now? (e.g. prior year maintenance costs during renting years?)

Any help appreciated.
Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

1. When you enter sale of a main home, you will indicate that it was used for business purposes.

2. You will enter the depreciation taken when the program asks

3. Since no depreciation was taken for those 2 years, there is nothing to recapture.

4. You will enter the full amount of the income from the sale on the 1116. Since the foreign tax credit is  based on percentage of foreign income, you want the full income along with the tax paid.

5. You already claimed maintenance while it was a rental, you can't claim it again.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

1. When you enter sale of a main home, you will indicate that it was used for business purposes.

2. You will enter the depreciation taken when the program asks

3. Since no depreciation was taken for those 2 years, there is nothing to recapture.

4. You will enter the full amount of the income from the sale on the 1116. Since the foreign tax credit is  based on percentage of foreign income, you want the full income along with the tax paid.

5. You already claimed maintenance while it was a rental, you can't claim it again.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies