Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TaxDad007

Question about a possible incorrect W-2

I have an issue with one of the two W-2s I received this year.

When my employer hired me they did not have a TaxID for my home state (which is where I am working remotely). For the first three paychecks I received, they withheld taxes in their state. After that they corrected the issue and started withholding taxes from my state.  They assured me that they would correct everything by the end of the year; however, when I received my W-2 it was not corrected and both states were listed.

I requested a correction and they issued the correction. The state taxes now appear to be right and everything that was withheld for state taxes is applied to my home state.

However, on the corrected W-2 they reduced the SS wages and SS tax in Boxes 3 and 4. I believe this is an error because I hit the max for wages and tax withheld this year.

I have been asking them to fix this for 6 weeks and they/their payroll provider are not fixing it. So, I am planning to report this to the IRS and have them send a letter to the company. Before I do this I want to make sure I’m right. Here is my evidence:

- the original W-2 has the correct number

- I created a spreadsheet and added up all of the SS tax withheld from every paycheck and it comes out to $9932.40, the max possible withholding for this year. Their number is $700 lower.

- Box 1 is $194k and Box3 is $148k. I don’t think this is possible, correct? If Box 1 is $194k then Box 3 must be the max SS wage of $160,200 for 2023.

Anything else that I should check before I ask the IRS to send a letter?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Question about a possible incorrect W-2

Based on the information you have provided, you calculations and assumptions are correct.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies