turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

Quarterly tax payments

I retired this year and need to file quarterly payments ( fed and state ?) I need to know how and what form to use and where and when.

Thanks, Bob
1 Reply
Level 15

Quarterly tax payments

You should make estimated tax payments for the current tax year if both of the following apply:
- 1. You expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for the current tax year, after subtracting your withholding and credits. 
- 2. You expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of: 90% of the tax to be shown on your current year’s tax return, or  100% of the tax shown on your prior year’s tax return. (Your prior year tax return must cover all 12 months.)

TurboTax (TT) can prepare the payment vouchers. In your 2016 software, enter at:

Federal Taxes or Personal (H&B version)

Other Tax Situations

Other Tax Forms

Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

If your goal is just to avoid the underpayment penalty, then paying 100% of the prior year tax liability is the “safe haven”

Or you can obtain  blank IRS Form 1040-ES from the IRS. The form and instructions are at this link:  


You can also pay Federal directly here.  Be sure to select 1040ES:


message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies