Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Qualified Business Loss Carryforward

I have $34,789 in QB Loss Carryforward with a postive profit for my business of $5,275 + taxable income of $34,395 and a tax liability of $5,041 resulting in a balance due of $2,069.

Question: How can I use my QBLCarryforward to reduce my tax liabity?

Question: Do I wipe out the taxable income or tax liability amount on Schedule 1 line z?

Question: How do I reduce my QBLCarryfoward from the amount on Schedule 1 line z?

Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Use of a QBI loss carryover can never reduce your taxes. The QBI is a deduction (line 13 of form 1040) to arrive at taxable income. Use of the carryover reduces the QBI deduction resulting in higher taxable income and hence higher income taxes. 

the $35K QBI loss carryforward is reduced by the $5K of current QBI income. so your QBI deduction would be zero.  You have a QBI loss carryover for 2025 of about $30K.  the QBI tax laws (IRC 199A) expire at the end of 2025. Noone knows at this point whether the law will be renewed or if it isn't do you still have to keep track of it in case in some future year the law is renewed. 

there should be no QBI deduction on schedule 1. don't have a clue as to what you have done or are doing. 

business income/loss - schedule C is reported on line 3 of schedule 1

schedule E business income/loss is reported on line 5 of that schedule 

the QBI deduction, if any, is not reported on these forms or schedules. The info is supposed to flow to form 8995/8995-A where the QBI deduction is computed.

View solution in original post

Thank you Mike for all your tax expertise. I did not do any crazy lol - You're the BEST!

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I'll page @Mike9241. Check back later.

Use of a QBI loss carryover can never reduce your taxes. The QBI is a deduction (line 13 of form 1040) to arrive at taxable income. Use of the carryover reduces the QBI deduction resulting in higher taxable income and hence higher income taxes. 

the $35K QBI loss carryforward is reduced by the $5K of current QBI income. so your QBI deduction would be zero.  You have a QBI loss carryover for 2025 of about $30K.  the QBI tax laws (IRC 199A) expire at the end of 2025. Noone knows at this point whether the law will be renewed or if it isn't do you still have to keep track of it in case in some future year the law is renewed. 

there should be no QBI deduction on schedule 1. don't have a clue as to what you have done or are doing. 

business income/loss - schedule C is reported on line 3 of schedule 1

schedule E business income/loss is reported on line 5 of that schedule 

the QBI deduction, if any, is not reported on these forms or schedules. The info is supposed to flow to form 8995/8995-A where the QBI deduction is computed.

Thank you Mike for all your tax expertise. I did not do any crazy lol - You're the BEST!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies