Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JoanAnt
Returning Member

QBI Enterprise how to correct so only 1 enterprise exists not 2

• For QBI Deduction, I want all 4 rental properties under 1 enterprise and not aggregated.  But,
    • Form 8960 Worksheet only shows 3 of my 4 rentals
    • Form 8995-A shows an "Aggregation"  but I don’t want to aggregate
    • From 8995-A Schedule B, shows 2 enterprises "Enterprise 1" and "Enterprise 2" when I only want 1.
  • I expected the 4 properties to be on Form 8995.  How do I fix this issue?

Please provide steps to remediate.  Thank you.

Turbo Tax Premier, Windows 11

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I do believe that one enterprise means your aggregating them. however certain rental activities cannot be aggregated. example residential and commercial real estate cannot be aggregated. 

in the schedule E worksheet

in the QBI section 

there's a question in the QBI smart worksheet about Rev Proc 2019-38 the safe harbor election

A1a which you can check if you meet the safe harbor for that property that would be enterprise 1

for others if they meet the safe harbor but you don't want them aggregated you would check the box but use 2,3, or 4 for the enterprise number

for each for which you do this there will be the RREE safe harbor statement. there will also be a component QBI worksheet for each enterprise. finally form 8995 will list each enterprise as on a separate line. 

JoanAnt
Returning Member

Thank you.  Turbo Tax named it Enterprise #1.  There was a subsequent question about aggregating, and I did not choose that option.

JoanAnt
Returning Member

I will be creating another post for form 8582. 

Prior to 2022 taxes, I utilized Turbo Tax.

For 2022, an accountant completed by taxes: 

• The appropriate documentation was provided to IRS that I have a single real estate activity for 2022 and subsequent tax years as well as I made the de minimis safe harbor election.  2022 was the first year I was considered with active participation.  
  • Form 8582 Part I Items 1a through d "Rental Real Estate Activities With Active Participation" were completed
  • Form 8582 Part II  "special allowance for rental real estate activity with active participation" section was completed.
  • Form 8582 Part IV was completed

Turbo Tax 2023:  it appears Turbo Tax doesn't think I have active participation instead it completed the form as passive.

• Form 8582, Part I Items 2a through d were completed "All Other Passive Activities" 
  • Form 8582 Part V was completed.

Since my first year as a real estate professional was in 2022 and did not use Turbo Tax then, there must be a trigger field that I must complete for 2023. 

JoanAnt
Returning Member

I figured it out by reading the IRS publication.  Married filing separably must be qualified as living together or not living together.  If living together, it is considered passive; if not living together, it is considered active.

Thanks again for your previous help. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies