Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

QBI deduction for residential rental real estate

I have a Sch E for a rental home, with about $3000 in net income.  This income generated a $600+ QBI.  When I print out my return, the last page is titled, "Rental Real Estate Enterprise Statement."  It has a statement that says, "By signing this return, we affirm . . . . " a set of statements that are true in our case.  At the bottom is a "Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have . . . and such facts are true, correct, and complete."  (which they are)

My question:  There are lines at the bottom of this form for signature(s) and date.  DOES THIS HAVE TO BE PHYSICALLY SIGNED?  OR IS SIGNING OUR E-FILED RETURN ADEQUATE?  If it has to be physically signed, does it have to be snail-mailed?  And if so, with or without our e-filed return?  

Thank you SO much for your help!  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JosephS1
Expert Alumni

No, you do not have to physically sign and mail.  By filing the return electronically with all the affirmation that is requested, you are affirming the information is true, correct, and complete.  

The printout for the return, should you print it out, will show "self-prepared" in the signature area but that is not precluding the disclosures and affirmations you are making to the IRS.

Below is an extract from Form 8879 regarding the Declaration and Signature Authorization that is part of the electronically filed return:

Form 8879

E-Signature per IRS

@garycarols 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JosephS1
Expert Alumni

No, you do not have to physically sign and mail.  By filing the return electronically with all the affirmation that is requested, you are affirming the information is true, correct, and complete.  

The printout for the return, should you print it out, will show "self-prepared" in the signature area but that is not precluding the disclosures and affirmations you are making to the IRS.

Below is an extract from Form 8879 regarding the Declaration and Signature Authorization that is part of the electronically filed return:

Form 8879

E-Signature per IRS

@garycarols 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies