Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Property tax payments are not reducing the tax payment due on my itemized return

When I enter my 2022 property tax expense, the tax payment due is not declining at all on my itemized return. My joint income is over $500,000 and my mortgage interest is being limited slightly....but when I enter $0, $50, and the full $12,308 paid in property tax, my tax payment due is not changing. Is there bug in turbo tax software this year?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Property tax payments are not reducing the tax payment due on my itemized return

On Schedule A, your deduction of state and local income, sales, and property taxes is limited to a combined total deduction of $10,000 ($5,000 if married filing separately)

So if your taxes other than property taxes in this category already exceed $10,000, property taxes will not add anything to your itemized deductions and will change your tax liability.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm aware of the limitation.  The only SALT payment I've made is property taxes.  When I zero out the SALT payment, my tax payment due does not increase....nor did my tax payment decrease when I entered the SALT property tax payment was entered.

Turbo Tax is recognizing the tax entry, yet my tax payment is not changing when I increase, decrease or delate my property tax payment.

MayaD
Expert Alumni

You might be subject to the AMT Alternative Minimum Tax. In calculating the AMT, you cannot take itemized deductions for state and local income tax, real estate taxes and personal property taxes, even though these are deductible on your regular return.

For more information check Alternative Minimum Tax: Common Questions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies