Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Property sale, not primary residence

I carried a contract to sale a house i owned in OK.  The party stopped paying.  I had a lawyer draft a document to return the property back to me in lieu of foreclosure.   The property has serious damage.  I sold the property to a family member at a reduced price because of the damage, approx. $25,000 below tax assessor value.  I did not see anything in turbo tax on loss of capital gains.  i only saw sale of a home.  Can i deduct the loss of capital gains and is the sale of home section of turbo tax where i would enter this income? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

You cannot deduct the loss of capital gains based on the decreased value of the home.  A capital gain or loss is not determined until you actually sell the property. 

You would enter the sales under Investment Income- Sticks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

You cannot deduct the loss of capital gains based on the decreased value of the home.  A capital gain or loss is not determined until you actually sell the property. 

You would enter the sales under Investment Income- Sticks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies