Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Problem with Form 1099-DIV Box 12 Exempt Interest Dividends

I am running into a problem entering data into the Form 1099-DIV Box 12 Exempt interest dividends with the table Tax-Exempt Interest Dividends State Allocation.  When I enter the state ID (in my case the filing state is NY), and a column (b) entry of greater than 1.00 percent, everything works fine.  However, when I enter one of the non-state IDs (PR, GU, AS, VI, etc.) with a percentage less than 1.00 percent, it gives me an error box:

The value entered must be equal or greater than 1.00.

This seems to be new, I went back and looked at my TurboTax Premier 2022 return, and there are percentages there less than 1.00.

* Has anyone run into this?
* Suggestions or work arounds?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My bad, I figured it out.  If you enter the amount in column (c) Amount of Interest dividends by state, leaving column (b) blank, Turbotax fills in the (lower than 1.00) amount, i.e. calculates the percentage.  So that is at least a work-around, although really TT should allow entry either way.

I also have a problem with Box 12 tax exempt dividends while entering various for the states where earned.  The program does not accept this although it was entered in the step by step.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If there are several states that the exempt dividends are from enter the one that the majority is from.

@77gebby 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies