Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Print pdf "Actual Size" or "Scale to Fit'?

I have to print and mail my return because of 2 forms and an attachment (why can’t e-filing take pdf attachments? they are just going to scan it all anyway, but that’s another issue…)

When you print your return, do you select “Actual Size”, or “scale to fit”. If I do “actual size” then some of the longer forms get cut of at the bottom. If I do “scale to fit” then many of the pages come out so small (with huge margins). I think last year I printed “actual size” and then just reprinted the forms that cut off with “scale to fit”. But I can’t remember exactly.

It seems like this shouldn’t be an issue, because Turbotax should be creating the forms just the right size for printing, and yet I have this issue every year. Does anyone else have this issue with neither “actual size” or “scale to fit” coming out just right?

I use Windows 11 and Acrobat Pro. Printing the pdf file generated by Turbotax. Paper size is “letter”

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It depends upon your printer.  Generally, I chose scale to fit to make sure the entire document is printed.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

The secret for me is to download and install the free Adobe PDF editor.  When that is on my computer, the forms format and print correctly.  Without it I have a lot scaling and other printing errors.  The Adobe software will help with printing all pdfs.  I have tried other companies products and not had success with them.   If you were using a paid version of Adobe and want to just have free one, you will need to uninstall the paid version  first.  I had put a trial of the paid version and had to either pay for it or uninstall it.

With that editor installed I print everything actual size and it prints with no cutoffs.

It depends upon your printer.  Generally, I chose scale to fit to make sure the entire document is printed.

Thank you both for the answers. I would like to try the free Adobe PDF editor, but don't want to uninstall my paid Adobe pro version, so couldn't do that. I tried foxit, and chrome, but both would cut off the longer forms (Schd B p. 1 for example) at the bottom.  Finally I just settled on Adobe pro and "Scale to fit" and I'll just hope the rather large margins and reduced-size forms are OK for IRS scanning.

@Drew345 

yo can go to Adobe's frop down menu and review the preferences. 

for example on the page display xzoom is set to 100%, use system setting, 

alo check your printer settings. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies