Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tie Flys

Premium Tax Credit Cap for Dual Insurance mistake

My income was going to increase in 2022 beyond what would normally make me eligible for CHIP/Medicaid so I went to the Marketplace for health insurance.  Without my knowledge, I was automatically renewed in CHIP/Medicaid for 2022 due to the American Rescue Plan( in spite of my higher income).  I received no notification that I was renewed for 2022 until I received a new automatic renewal notice later in August of 2022 for renewal in 2023. It was then I found out I had been dual insured during all of 2022 with CHIP/Medicaid as well. I was also enrolled in the Marketplace for all of 2022.  The results were that I qualified for Marketplace insurance with a substantial Tax Premium Credit along with notices in the Results page that I didn't qualify for CHIP/Medicaid.  I went almost the entire year with dual insurance without knowing it and now I'm told by the Marketplace that I have to pay back all of the Tax Premium Credit since I had dual coverage.  There has to be a precedence for this.  It was an honest mistake. I never would have paid for Marketplace insurance had I know I was already getting it for free.  What recourse do I have?  Will the Premium Tax Credit repayment Cap protect me?  Thanks for any advice!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Table with 3 columns and 4 rows. Currently displaying rows 1 to 4.
Less than 200% FPL $325 $650
200% - less than 300% FPL $825 $1,650
300% FPL - less than 400% FPL $1,400 $2,800
400% and above No limit; repay entire amount of excess tax credit No limit; repay entire amount of excess tax credit

Tie Flys

This cap is based on income.  Will it still apply if I had dual health insurance?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies