Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Possible bug in Foreign Tax Credit section

I have some accounts with investments in foreign companies. They pay dividends. I entered the information about the 1099 DIV forms as instructed including the foreign tax paid.

Later, I was given a chance to claim a foreign tax deduction. In that section, I was asked to enter the same information as I did for the 1099 DIV forms again (I mean the amount of foreign tax, the dividends they came from, and the brokerages they were associated with). I did so going through each of the 1099 DIV forms I had that reported a foreign tax. The problem is that I had then to enter each country that charged the tax or various if that was the case and then tell the program which brokerage issued the 1099 DIV form with that information. For the first one, I was given a list of all the brokerages. For the second one, I was given a list that didn't have the first one I had entered (which is correct), but also didn't have some of the others I still had to enter the information for. I believe this might be a bug in the program. I had to try this several times, and in the end, I simply clicked on the Skip the Foreign Tax Credit to move on. Sometimes, I would get to end of my taxes and be told that the countries listed did not correspond to the brokerages where the 1099 DIV came from. I did this a few times until I clicked the Skip the Foreign Tax Credit again and TurboTax did not produce any forms to claim the foreign tax credit. I am OK with that since the amount is small, but I still would like to see this problem corrected for future versions of TurboTax.

Please, take a look into this and thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies