Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Portion of Pension That is Taxable

I am trying to understand how the portion of my pension is taxable. Turbotax calculates it as less than the distribution amount and I would like to understand how it is calculated. I've looked at publication 575, "Pension and Annuity Income" but the worksheet at the end of the publication seems to be just for annuities. It doesn't make sense to use it for pensions. I have a qualified pension plan and the full distribution amount isn't taxed. How is the taxable portion calculated. I didn't see any other info on this in this website's forum, etc. other thanall or  a portion of my pension may be taxed which I already know. Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Just to clarify why is your qualified pension distribution not taxable?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

it seems you're asking why only part of the amount in 1a is taxable. we can't see what you entered. to help we would have to know what boxes/lines on the 1099-R have amounts or are checked and does box/line 1 and 2a agree.

Boxes 5 and/or 9 would have entries in order for a taxable amount to be less than the gross amount.  When after-tax dollars are contributed to a retirement account, they are dribbled out over time as reductions in the amount of the distribution that is taxable.  The annuity calculation is really also a pension calculation.  Try using the Bogart Pension/Annuity Tool yourself to see if it duplicates your taxable number.  There is a similar thing for IRA's that have a comparable after-tax basis.  IRS Form 8606 is then used to calculate the reduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies