Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sunriserz

Plasma Donations and Social Security

I started plasma donations in early 2023, and expect annual income of about $3,000. I plan to continue the activity indefinitely. I planned to file 2023 taxes using Schedule C. But I am concerned about how the self-employment tax would apply in my case. I exceed the Social Security wage cap from my full-time employment, so I did not expect to pay the Social Security 6.4% (or 12.8% for both parts) on the Schedule C activity - even though I expected to pay the Medicare 1.25% (or double) plus Medicare surcharge, based on my AGI. Am I wrong?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You are correct. The calculation of self-employment tax on Schedule SE takes into consideration the Social Security tax that was withheld on your W-2. If you have already paid the maximum amount of Social Security tax on your wages, you will not pay the Social Security portion of the self-employment tax.

The Social Security tax rate is 6.2%. The basic Medicare tax rate (before additional Medicare tax) is 1.45%.

It is self employment income but not subject to social security.  Here is how to report the 1099-MISC in TurboTax

1. Federal
  2. Income and expenses
  3. Other common income
  4. Income from Form 1099-MISC
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies