Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

justinwfores
Returning Member

Phone number preventing tax filing and numerous other issues (overall horrible experience with TurboTax)

Hi all,

I've had an absolute nightmare of a time using TurboTax to file my taxes from abroad this year after comparatively pain free experiences in prior years. In particular the functionality around the foreign earned income tax credit is extremely buggy, the guidance is poor / misleading and all in all I know know so much about the foreign earned income tax credit that I may as well file myself next year without TurboTax.

Now all of that is just a rant and it is not related to my issue here. I have been trying to file my taxes since yesterday evening and I continue to receive the following error:

601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Contains invalid digits

I found details on this and the issue appears to be my UK mobile phone number. I amended the phone number on my tax return to a US mobile phone number. This has not resolved the issue so I then went into my Intuit account to find my verified phone number used for tax message authentication is also my UK mobile number. This is where another issue begins:

• I have been trying to login using my username and password for the last 2 days, however I am constantly met with a notification saying I am locked out for 15 minutes. The only way I can get around this is by using my UK phone number for authentication and login (except apparently I can't use my UK phone number according to your form... despite it working fine for SMS notifications)
  • When I try to update my Intuit telephone number to change it to my US mobile phone number I am repeatedly met with the same issue. You have to enter your password as part of the phone number updating process and every time I do this it triggers the same"you have been locked out for 15 minutes" response or sometimes it notes a missing Token (technical line that it throws up sometimes... tried to re-produce now to copy and paste but it isn't doing it)

It'd be greatly appreciated if I could get some help resolving this as nothing I do is letting me file my taxes and I've not got long until my extension is up.

The number of defects I have encountered in your software throughout filing this year makes me concerned to even send you my SSN digitally! 

Kind regards,

Justin

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
justinwfores
Returning Member

Phone number preventing tax filing and numerous other issues (overall horrible experience with TurboTax)

Really helpfully I tried to log out and log back in, but I am now being told I am locked out for 1439 minutes (basically 24 hours)! I was only able to log back in due to text message authentication to my UK number so now even if I manage to change it so that I can eFile I will apparently lock myself out of my account because my UK mobile number is my only way in!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies