Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Phantom IRA Distributrion Income and Pension and Annuity Taxes

I use Turbotax Home and Business.  After completing my 1099-R form, I noticed my IRA distribution of was $32,000 higher than I entered, and a Pension Distribution Taxable amount of 499.00 for a Pension distribution I did not enter.   Very Strange.

On the 1099R form I entered everything correctly:

Gross Distribution

Taxable amount

Taxable Amount not determined (X)

Federal Income Tax Withheld

Distribution Code (7) - Normal

IRA/SEP/SIMPLE (X)

State Tax Witheld

State CA

State distribution Amount

On Form 1040:

line (4a) IRA Distribution amount is blank

line (4b) taxable amount is $32,000 more than the distribution amount

line (5a) pensions and annuities is blank

line (5b) taxable amount [of line 5a] is blank

In the 1040A worksheet, the explanation takes me to a form that says IRA distribution explanation, which is essentially blank

so how do you explain the $32,000 variance in distribution amount between the 1099-R worksheet and the 1040 Form and worksheet, and where did the Pension distribution amount come from at all?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

After working with the Turbotax Support team yesterday, it was determined that the application made an error in how it interpreted a response to the IRA distribution response.  Although I selected "no" to the question about the distribution being used for Qualified Disaster, Turbotax generated form 8915 anyway, which caused the application to overstate the distribution.  This was a significant error because the net result was a steep overstatement of my income level, underpayment of tax due.  The net result was a $14 thousand dollar refund owed to me.  This same thing happened to us for both 2021 AND 2022 returns.  IMHO, Turbotax should compensate me for lost interest on $30K at a minimum.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you're using TurboTax Desktop, in FORMS mode, when you click on the Taxable Amount on Line 4b on the 1040 Worksheet, the magnifying glass opens a pop-up window showing the 1099-R(s) relating to this amount.

Click on the 1099-R(s) to open and check the Distribution/Taxable Amounts.  If there is a duplicate, choose 'Delete Form' at the bottom of the form.  You can edit amounts directly on the form if incorrect.

If you're using TurboTax Online, type '1099-R' in the Search window, then 'Jump to 1099-R' to see a 1099-R Summary.  You can then Edit or Delete as needed.

@aubutndan 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After working with the Turbotax Support team yesterday, it was determined that the application made an error in how it interpreted a response to the IRA distribution response.  Although I selected "no" to the question about the distribution being used for Qualified Disaster, Turbotax generated form 8915 anyway, which caused the application to overstate the distribution.  This was a significant error because the net result was a steep overstatement of my income level, underpayment of tax due.  The net result was a $14 thousand dollar refund owed to me.  This same thing happened to us for both 2021 AND 2022 returns.  IMHO, Turbotax should compensate me for lost interest on $30K at a minimum.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies