turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

randys711

Personal income ,1099-MISC form

I'm married filing jointly, my wife owns a business, I do MGR work for the owner of my rental building, when  I key in my 1099-MISC under personal income, Turbo Tax creates an entry under Business, when i get to the review portion i am prompted for Business information. This is not my business, i just do the work at the rentals and get paid for it, it's personal income. How do i get turbo tax to not treat My 1099-MISC as business and leave it as personal?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Patrice

If your 1099-MISC has an amount in Box 7 (Nonemployee compensation), the IRS does not consider you an employee. Instead, the IRS is treating you as a self-employed worker/business owner, also called an independent contractor.

If your Form 1099-MISC shows an amount in Box 7 for nonemployee compensation and it’s because you did consulting work or other services for someone, based on IRS regulation, you DO now "have a business!" You’re in the business of consulting, and you have to file Schedule C to report that 1099-MISC income. The Schedule C is located in TurboTax Self-Employed version. This is a requirement, not an option!

Note: As an independent contractor, without a specific name for your independent business, your own name is the business name and the business address is your home address unless you have an office of your own at a different location. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4770969

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Patrice

If your 1099-MISC has an amount in Box 7 (Nonemployee compensation), the IRS does not consider you an employee. Instead, the IRS is treating you as a self-employed worker/business owner, also called an independent contractor.

If your Form 1099-MISC shows an amount in Box 7 for nonemployee compensation and it’s because you did consulting work or other services for someone, based on IRS regulation, you DO now "have a business!" You’re in the business of consulting, and you have to file Schedule C to report that 1099-MISC income. The Schedule C is located in TurboTax Self-Employed version. This is a requirement, not an option!

Note: As an independent contractor, without a specific name for your independent business, your own name is the business name and the business address is your home address unless you have an office of your own at a different location. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4770969

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies