Solved: Personal income ,1099-MISC form

randys711

Personal income ,1099-MISC form

I'm married filing jointly, my wife owns a business, I do MGR work for the owner of my rental building, when  I key in my 1099-MISC under personal income, Turbo Tax creates an entry under Business, when i get to the review portion i am prompted for Business information. This is not my business, i just do the work at the rentals and get paid for it, it's personal income. How do i get turbo tax to not treat My 1099-MISC as business and leave it as personal?

Patrice

Personal income ,1099-MISC form

If your 1099-MISC has an amount in Box 7 (Nonemployee compensation), the IRS does not consider you an employee. Instead, the IRS is treating you as a self-employed worker/business owner, also called an independent contractor.

If your Form 1099-MISC shows an amount in Box 7 for nonemployee compensation and it’s because you did consulting work or other services for someone, based on IRS regulation, you DO now "have a business!" You’re in the business of consulting, and you have to file Schedule C to report that 1099-MISC income. The Schedule C is located in TurboTax Self-Employed version. This is a requirement, not an option!

Note: As an independent contractor, without a specific name for your independent business, your own name is the business name and the business address is your home address unless you have an office of your own at a different location. 

Patrice

Personal income ,1099-MISC form