Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Pennsylvania Distribution Type for a Roth Conversion 1099-R

How to answer PA Distribution type for a Roth Conversion 1099-R:  Box 7 is 7, the “IRA/SEP/SIMPLE” box is checked, and all the other boxes are blank.  All of the money from my traditional IRA transferred directly into my Roth.  I am over 59.5 years old.  Do I choose:  I12  Rollover  or J1 Traditional or Roth IRA; I’m over 59.5 or something else?  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

The Pennsylvania Department of Revenue says the conversion of a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA is generally not taxable. That is, monies transferred from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA via conversion (whether by a trustee-to-trustee transfer or a roll-over within 60 days) are generally not subject to Pennsylvania personal income tax.  See: Taxability of Roth IRAs according to PA income tax rules

Choose Traditional or Roth IRA; I’m over 59.5 to make this non-taxable to PA.

Distributions from an IRA are not taxable if the payments are:

1. Received, including lump sum distributions, on or after reaching the age of 59 1/2.
  2. Paid to the estate, or designated beneficiary, of the participant by reason of the participant’s death.

Thank you!  There's definitely a learning curve for each state's income tax.  Your prompt and knowledgeable response is much appreciated.

How would you code it for PA if the exact same situation - transfer of traditional IRA to roth IRA, code 2 in box 7, IRA/SEP/Simple box checked but under 59.5? Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies