Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TaxFrustrated
Returning Member

Peculiar Situation with Excess in Trad IRA Account after Backdoor Roth Conversion

Hi,

This was my first year (2023) of doing a Backdoor Roth conversion. I used YouTube videos as my guide and seem to have messed up big time because of some weird money holding rules at Fidelity. I would really appreciate help in resolving this issue.

Our Annual AGI for 2023 was higher than Roth Contribution limit and we maxed out 2023 401(k) contribution for both of us already.

Followed the same steps below for both me and wife

1) Moved $6500 (max Roth IRA contribution for 2023) After-Tax Money from Bank Account to a new Trad IRA account (2023) on Fidelity last week

2) Fidelity started paying interest on this money but will not let me move it to Roth IRA Account till today (7-8 days)

3) On calling them they told me they don't have any option where they don't pay interest on this 'held' amount

4) As soon as window opened I transferred $6500 to the Roth IRA Account but now have around $5 sitting in Trad IRA

My dilemma is what to do with this ~$5 which is legal from IRS perspective. Can I move it to a 2024 401(k) account or just withdraw it and pay some kind of penalty or tax.

Which tax forms will I need to fill in Turbo Tax additionally for 2023/2024. I am very confused researching this issue myself and would like someone who knows more about this stuff than me to guide me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Peculiar Situation with Excess in Trad IRA Account after Backdoor Roth Conversion

You can withdraw the $5.  Be sure to request it as a "withdrawal of excess contribution" (or earnings on excess contribution).  This will then be reported on your 2024 taxes. 

If you have already taken a regular withdrawal, I wouldn't go to great lengths to update since the penalty here would be no more than $1. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies