Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mmgrisat

Paying the tax on mutual fund state tax-exempt funds because it is too much trouble and I prefer to pay the tax. I keep getting an error message.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Paying the tax on mutual fund state tax-exempt funds because it is too much trouble and I prefer to pay the tax. I keep getting an error message.

What state?

What is the exact error message that you get - the entire message, word for word?

At what point in TurboTax do you get the error message?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I assume that the state tax-exempt dividends are in box 12 of a 1099-DIV. Try the following and see if it eliminates the error.

In the federal income section, after you enter the 1099-DIV, you come to a screen that asks which state the exempt-interest dividends are from. In the drop-down list for the state, all the way at the bottom of the list, select "More Than One State." Do not check the box that says "I earned tax exempt dividends in more than one state." Click Done. The exempt dividends will then be included as taxable income on your state tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies