Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Passive K-1 Transfer to Living Trust

I have several passive investments in LLCs that issue K-1s to me each year. In 2023, I transferred the ownership of these LLCs from me as an individual to my Living Trust (same SSN). The partnership has issued two K-1s for each LLC, one that is a "Final K-1" under my name and then a second K-1 that is under the Living Trust (effectively, the first K-1 as if it's a new investment).

The sum of these two K-1s (per LLC) covers the full profit (loss), capital gain (loss), etc for each partnership, so I know I must enter both K-1s. My question -- In this case, the LLC remains under the same SSN but a different legal entity, so is it still treated as a sale of the LLC? TT seems to require me to treat it as a sale even though nothing was exchanged in the disposition for the "Final K-1." Any advice is appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Because the taxpayer identification number on the Schedules K-1 is the same, you don't need to enter both. Simply add the amounts together for each box and enter the total for each K-1 investment. The IRS receives only Schedule E page 2 with the partnership name. As long as your calculations are accurate, you should be fine.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Because the taxpayer identification number on the Schedules K-1 is the same, you don't need to enter both. Simply add the amounts together for each box and enter the total for each K-1 investment. The IRS receives only Schedule E page 2 with the partnership name. As long as your calculations are accurate, you should be fine.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies