Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Parent refusal on kiddie tax

I'm hoping someone can assist me, as this is becoming a growing problem for college aged students who received unemployment. I was a full time college student up until I graduated in May 2020, ever since I have lived with my boyfriend. I am in the process of doing my taxes and unfortunately a form 8615 pops up for my unemployment, which seems wrong because unemployment shouldn't be subject to kiddie tax at all. I am filing independent this year, but that doesn't matter apparently. The issue is my mom won't give me her information to help fill in the section I need, all because she's not claiming me this year, and I have no idea what to do. I have tried talking to her but that resulted in a bad turn and some blaming. Is there any way for me to just use the old method for kiddie tax? Or if I estimate what I think her income is, can the IRS fix it? I also have a stepdad but I didn't consider him because he lives somewhere else and we seldom talk but he's there if I need him, however I'm not sure if I'd be able to use his information... I really have no idea how to go about this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Parent refusal on kiddie tax

You'll have to reach out to the IRS to get this information.

According to Parent's return information not available in the IRS's 2020 Publication 929, Tax Rules for Children and Dependents (draft)

If a child can’t get the required information about his or her parent's tax return, the child (or the child's legal representative) can request the necessary information from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). 

A procedure in the document describes the steps you should take to request this information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies