Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Raj1
Level 2

Paid Overseas Employer

While working overseas, I resigned and had to pay one month's salary since I chose not to serve the notice period.

Where should I enter this payment in TurboTax?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Paid Overseas Employer

@Raj1 , based on your answers to my questions ,

(a)  Assuming that   you  meet the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (i.e. meet the Physical Presence  Test  -- 330 days abroad in a test period of continuous  12 months ), the amount you paid back to your employer  during 2023 needs to be  recognized  ( i.e. by reducing your foreign earned income by the amount paid back) in 2023.

(b) If on the other hand, the amount paid back   occurred  in  2024,  then you need to account for this in  your 2024 filing  ( during 2025 filing season ).

Note that Singapore does not have a tax treaty with the USA.  Thus  Foreign Tax Credit is not an option.  However, Foreign Earned Income Exclusion is still available to you.

Does this make sense ?   Is there more I can do for you ? 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Paid Overseas Employer

I'll page Champ @pk. Please check back later.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

Paid Overseas Employer

@Raj1 , Namaste ji

(a) are you US person ( citizen/ GreenCard ) ?

(b) Which country  are we talking about?  Are we dealing with 2023 or 2024?  If 2023, have you already filed the return ?   If 2023 and filed/accepted, did you use Foreign Tax credit  or Foreign Earned Income Exclusion ?

(c)   Are you currently in the USA or still abroad  ?  If abroad, which country ?

I understand some of these questions may not appear to be directly related to your questions, but (to me) are necessary to provide an answer focused to your particular situation.  If you are uncomfortable with answering all or some , you are welcome to PM me  ( still though with nil personally Identifiable Information) .

Please answer -- I will circle back once I hear from you --yes ?

Namaste ji

pk

Raj1
Level 2

Paid Overseas Employer

US

Singapore

2023 Not filed

Still overseas in Europe

pk
Level 15
Level 15

Paid Overseas Employer

@Raj1 , based on your answers to my questions ,

(a)  Assuming that   you  meet the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (i.e. meet the Physical Presence  Test  -- 330 days abroad in a test period of continuous  12 months ), the amount you paid back to your employer  during 2023 needs to be  recognized  ( i.e. by reducing your foreign earned income by the amount paid back) in 2023.

(b) If on the other hand, the amount paid back   occurred  in  2024,  then you need to account for this in  your 2024 filing  ( during 2025 filing season ).

Note that Singapore does not have a tax treaty with the USA.  Thus  Foreign Tax Credit is not an option.  However, Foreign Earned Income Exclusion is still available to you.

Does this make sense ?   Is there more I can do for you ? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies