Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Paid for an Extension but didn’t owe

Paid for extention (didn't owe) then had to pay again to file. Is this 🤔 right? Feels scammy. I did MOST of the work...as a RealEstate Pro thought I would get to use up to $1M Sec 179 deductible for my rental but was limited to -25k.  Very few actual professionals to help with 179 allocation questions.  Feeling robɓed.  Finally filed now.  Can anyone recommend a better software 🤔 company for 2024?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Paid for an Extension but didn’t owe

if you qualify as a real estate professional did you check that box in Turbotax? A real estate professional is not subject to the passive real estate loss limitation. However, 179 does no good when you have losses pro or not.

To get a 179 deduction you must have a profit from the activity.  All tax apps would do the same as Turbotax - limit your 179 deduction to zero because evidently, your real estate reporting shows a loss.  The 179 amount disallowed will be carried forward until there is a taxable profit from your rental activity. Gain from the sale of 

revocation can be done only if the iRS consents

IRC 179(b)

(3)Limitation based on income from trade or business
(A)In general
The amount allowed as a deduction under subsection (a) for any taxable year (determined after the application of paragraphs (1) and (2)) shall not exceed the aggregate amount of taxable income of the taxpayer for such taxable year which is derived from the active conduct by the taxpayer of any trade or business during such taxable year.

Turbotax and other non-pro apps require some knowledge of the tax laws when there's a business activity.

reading IRS PUB 946 - the 179 section may help you. if not confer with a tax professional.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p946.pdf 

Turbotax also offers free file for extensions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies