Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Owner Occupied Commercial Building - Partial Lease Reporting

I own a building with two relatively equal spaces.  One portion is used by my laundromat and the other portion is leased as a restaurant.  The lease to the restaurant accounts for about 25% of the total income from the property.  Since getting flagged for audit due to my operating numbers not being consistent with a leased laundromat operation, I have been reporting rent paid to myself and rent collected from the restaurant along with all the building expenses on a Schedule E.  Can I just report everything on my Schedule C?  The main reason for wanting to do this is to claim the income as active income for SEP contribution purposes.  
Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

You need guidance from a tax professional.

Re renting the property to a third party, the proper reporting for that situation would be on Schedule E. Schedule C reporting is for real estate dealers and owners of residential real estate who provide significant services to their renters.

As an aside, if you are a sole proprietor and are the sole owner of the building, you really should not be reporting rental income on your return as you cannot rent property you own from yourself. 

Thank you.  I had conflicting responses from tax professionals.  Just trying to get one more data point. 

@tagteam, in the situation above, if part of the building is being used for my personal business, and part is actively rented out, I understand only the expenses directly related to the rented portion are deductible.  But  how are the overall costs allocated?  (by percentage of use?), i.e. mortgage interest and more confusingly depreciation?

A reasonable method would be percentage of use.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies