Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Overrides in form 8283 show incorrect errors

In 2023 I made a donation of long-term stock that requires form 8283. I have found 2 items where TurboTax appears to generate errors incorrectly after overriding  inputs:

1. The IRS instructions for 2023 form 8283 specify that Section A, Line 1, column(g) [Donor cost or basis] should not be filled in for donations of publicly traded securities held more than 12 months. After clearing this entry using the Noncash Charitable Contributions Worksheet form, TurboTax shows this override incorrectly as an error.

2. A partially completed 8283 form that I received from Fidelity Investments shows in Line 1, column (i) [Method used to determine the fair market value]:  Treasury Regulation #20.2031-2 

This is a reference to the proper method for determining FMV for stock contributions. TurboTax has a drop-down list allowed for this column which does not include this reference. The best match in the TurboTax list appears to be "Comparative sales".  If I override this field on the form 8283 and insert the wording recommended by Fidelity, TurboTax again flags this as an error.

Will these errors prevent successful electronic filing? I believe these overrides should not be flagged as errors for the reasons mentioned above. In the step-by-step input questions should be asked so that the basis (line 1 column g) is left blank if the donation qualifies as indicated in the 2023 IRS instructions for this form.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies