turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

out of state tax

My son lives in Massachsettes and work in New Hampshire and owed about $500 to the state of Mass in 2022 taxes. How do we get his job in New Hampshire to take out more state taxes for Mass?

The state of New Hampshire has no income taxes...



1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

out of state tax

Hi @tommy2613 ,


Your son will need to complete a new W-4 for Massachusetts for his employer.

Below is Form W-4 for Massachusetts.

Massachusetts W-4  

I suggest that in the above form, your son claims "0" on line 4 if not already "0".

If he already claimed "0" on the previous W-4 that he filled out for the employer, then he can withhold an additional amount every paycheck on line 5.

I hope this helps

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies