Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

delfifam

Our total adjusted income was $149K, prior to adding a 1099-INT statement valuing $648, we owed $3 in Fed income taxes, once I entered it, we suddenly owed $225 - why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Our total adjusted income was $149K, prior to adding a 1099-INT statement valuing $648, we owed $3 in Fed income taxes, once I entered it, we suddenly owed $225 - why?

When you entered the 1099-INT, your adjusted income increased by $648, so the total tax now is calculated from this higher value, and the tax bracket you are in is the percentage by which this increase is calculated.

dmertz
Level 15

The roughly 34% marginal tax rate is likely due to either the additional $648 of taxable income increasing the taxable amount of some other income such as Social Security benefits, the pushing of some amount of long-term capital gains or qualified dividends to be taxed at 15% instead of 0%, or to a decrease in some sort of tax credit caused by the increase in AGI.  You would have to examine your tax return side-by-side with and without the additional $648 to know what side-effect is the cause.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies