Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

awillox

Can I claim my Autistic son (22) even though he has a W-2 for 4500 in income? I pay for more than 1/2 his support and he does not go to school.

You to clarify ... Our son is 22, has high functioning Autism and works part time.  But we provide 90% of his support.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Can I claim my Autistic son (22) even though he has a W-2 for 4500 in income? I pay for more than 1/2 his support and he does not go to school.

You can claim your child if he is permanently and totally disabled regardless of age or income if you provide more than half of his support.  Your child is permanently and totally disabled if both of the following apply: He or she can't engage in any substantial gainful activity because of a physical or mental condition. A doctor determines the condition has lasted or can be expected to last continuously for at least a year or can lead to death.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
awillox

Our son is permanently disabled, there is not cure for Autism.  But the requirement "substantial gainful activity" is vague.  What is considered "substantial gainful activity" for one individual may different for another.  Who determines what is considered "substantial gainful activity"?

Sorry if my answer was vague and technical.  The substantial gainful activity is more of a social security administration term.  It generally looks to see if a person is able to earn money on a consistent basis even with the disability.  
A person who is earning more than a certain monthly amount (net of impairment-related work expenses) is ordinarily considered to be engaging in SGA.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
awillox

It's not that your answer is vague, I appreciate your input.  It's difficult to determine where the line is.  Our son is receiving SSI due to his disability, so that would make me think that Social Security considers him disable.  Thanks again.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies